Students will have a unit quiz on Mix and Flow of Matter on Tuesday, November 27. The following are the main concepts/vocabulary that we learned throughout the unit.
1) Particle Model of Matter – 5 parts
2)States of Matter – Solid, Liquid, Gas,
3)Changes in States of Matter – Fusion, Melting, Freezing, Solidification, Condensation, Sublimation, Deposition, Evaporation
4) Classification of Matter – Heterogenous/Homogenous/Pure Substances/Mixtures/Elements/Compounds
5) Separation of Mixtures
6) Solubility – Insoluble, Soluble, Saturated, Unsaturated, Solubility Tables/Graphs
7) Viscosity / Flow Rate
8) Density – Calculation, Reading a Density Table
9) Buoyancy - Anti-Gravity Force, Average Density, Archimedes Principle
For students who would like some extra guidance, a study guide is attached below covering the concepts of this unit.
A follow up on non-newtonian fluids, students completed an Oobleck activity.
This week students designed a boat made of tin foil and had a contest of which boat could hold the greatest amount of pennies (remember those?) before sinking.